Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Cherry tobacco pipe smoke


This is the only photo I have of our great grandfather as I knew him. At our house we called him "Grandpa Bradshaw" because he lived in Bradshaw. Many of the rest of you called him "Peanut Grandpa", because he seemed to always have peanuts in his pockets. Barbie has a wonderful post about him in her blog (June 12, 06 in her archives).

When I emailed this photo to Debbie, she sent a reply to thank me, and in it she mentioned associating him with the scent of his pipe smoke. I remember it so clearly - cherry tobacco - and I loved it.

In years following, sometimes my dad would get out his pipe (usually around the holidays) and one sniff would remind me of Grandpa Bradshaw. Mom had gotten him the tobacco and when I mentioned that it reminded me of my great grandfather, she said that's why she bought it...

2 comments:

Barbara Allen Moore said...

I walked out my office door one day and a little old man was sitting on the hallway steps smoking cherry tobacco in his pipe. I sat down next to him and told that my peanut grandpa had smoked the same tobacco would he mind if I sat with him awhile. He said that was fine and we chatted for a bit then parted ways. But the scent of the pipe remained the rest of the day. I'd open my door now and then to take a wiff. I can smell it even while I write this.

Anonymous said...

Grandpa's tobacco seemed to have touched everyone in the family, I loved the smell of the Cherry tobacco also and I bought it for Jack once when he took to the pipe for a while. Grandpa was a special person in my life, he always seemed to be around even when dad came home from the war and we moved to the farm about 5 mi. out of Sutton. Grandpa drove a big truck at that time and on baking day mom would be taking the cinnamon rolls out of the oven and in drove grandpa in his truck, said he could smell them from the Hwy. That was about a three mile drift for the baking smell to get to the highway. Grandpa was a special person to us all.

Sherry