Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Some family history


I know when I started this blog I promised some family history and geneology. The other day I ran across a postcard sent to me by Judy Weaver in the summer of 2003. Her mother was our parents' cousin, though they didn't know the family very well. I "met" Judy on the internet several years ago when we both registered at a Chenowith cousins web site (we had a grandmother several generations back who was a Chenowith). Judy contacted me to see if I knew any of the Adams's from the Bradshaw area and we discovered we share a Great Grandfather. I emailed her a photo of my mom, she emailed back a photo of her elder sister - could have been twins almost. I put her in contact with Uncle Bill and Aunt Sherry.
Anyway, Judy has done extensive genealogical research on the Adams family, and she sent information dating back to the Mayflower. According to her research, we are descendents of James Chilton, the eldest passenger on the ship. I just Googled "Mayflower Passenger List", and this is what they say about James Chilton:



James Chilton, a tailor by trade, was the oldest Mayflower passenger, and one of the first to die after reaching the New World. He was born and raised in Canterbury, Kent, England and around 1600 moved to Sandwich, Kent.
By July 1615, and probably as early as 1610, James, his wife, and at least some of his children were living in Leyden, Holland. On 28 April 1619, James Chilton and his daughter Isabella were caught in an anti-Arminian riot and James was hit in the head with a brick, and required the services of the town surgeon, Jacob Hey.
He came on the Mayflower with his wife and daughter Mary. James and his wife died the first winter, leaving their daughter orphaned; she probably joined with the household of Myles Standish.
Mary Chilton came on the Mayflower at the young age of 13, and popular legend gives her the distinction of being the first female to step ashore at Plymouth. She married John Winslow, who came in the ship Fortune in 1621, and was the brother of Mayflower passengers Edward Winslow and Gilbert Winslow.

Here's a link to a web page about him: http://members.aol.com/calebj/passenger.html



Since we have this proven tie to a Mayflower passenger, any of us can join the Mayflower Society if we want. I haven't even looked into it, but it may be a fun summer project!

3 comments:

Barbara Allen Moore said...

Wow! The namr Jacob Hey is ringing a bell with both me and Jacqui. We don't know why. But as Jacqui said, "a tailor huh I guess that's where we get that from" meaning our need to create and sew clothes. Isn't there a society for daughters of the Mayflower kinda like daugheter of the Revolution that includes coming out ceremonies and the family being listed in some kind of register? Hummmm....questions and mysteries how exciting!

Tammy said...

The Mayflower Society (I think that's what it's called) is probably what you're thinking of. We also have ties to the Daughters of the American Revolution, but I need to find that information from Judy. A cousin of one of our direct ancestors founded the DAR. I'll post that info when I find it.
I'm trying to find the book advertised on the web site - the first five generations after the Mayflower, but my library can't get it. I was invited to come look through some really old books they have regarding Plymouth and the Mayflower, so I'll spend an afternoon at the library one day soon. I'll be checking ebay for that other book. I just don't want to pay $65 for it. :o)

Barbara Allen Moore said...

Have you tried Amazon or Newandusedbooks.com? Have you heard about the new book out that some guy claims is more acurate and the real truth about the pilgrims and the indians. He claims that the natives were basically slaves to the pilgrims and that disease ravaged many of the pilgrim families that first year leaving few survivors. Mary Chilton is mentioned in it. I'll see what I can find again. I think I read it in a fashion mag of Jacqui's, book review section, or the Times. I recylce all paper so they may still be here. Oh maybe one of the Univerity libraries has the book your looking for.