Sunday, May 27, 2007

More Military notes...

I couldn't find out anything on Uncle Bill's time in the Navy. I do know that he was stationed in Okinawa when he met and married Aunt Take and Bobbie was born there.

Aunt Janet was a nurse's aid when she entered the Navy in 1959. She trained at Bainbridge, Maryland and served at Bethesda Naval Hospital from 1959-1961.
She entered the Military Sea transportation Service (MSTS) where she served until 1964. She traveled to Bremerhaven, Germany or Bristol, England every 30 days transporting military personel or their dependents to and from foreign tours of duty. (per the Samual Adams family book) I remember her telling me that even when she entered the Navy some Captains or Commanders refused to let women on board and the nurses would be left standing on the dock until officials were made to let them on board. Some of the old sea dogs beleived that having women on board was bad luck. She also told me that discrimination was practised and accepted in the Navy and you just had to bite your tongue and do what you were told. I think that was the hardest thing for her to do. She met and married Jack while in the Navy. He was also serving at that time.

My sister Jenny entered the Navy right out of high school. She planned and worked very hard to pass the exams getting help and advice from the enlistment officers. For awhile she struggled but her hard work proved out and she entered the Navy. Jenny went active just as the gulf war was winding down. She was sent all over the world trying to catch her ship which had left its port. She told me that she was in Okinawa airport trying to get a ride to her ship which she had finally caught up with and no one would help her no matter how loud she talked! (I think it was a language thing Jen) The men kept staring at her(blond hair) and finally her ride showed up and she was taken to her ship. She was at sea for awhile then she landed in Hawaii, met Brad, got engaged, shipped out, came back, met Brad again, planned wedding, he shipped out, got back together again in Hawaii, shipped out, got married, shipped out (I think you see the pattern). Both of them were eventaully based together in Hawaii.

I know other cousins spent time as military personel, Jeff, Bart, Audry's husband, Bobbie, and others. Thanks for being brave enough and strong enough to do what was neccessary to keep us safe and out of harms way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will be sending pictures of each of our Military People, I have most but am still trying for the rest.

The Military has always had a special place in my heart, I was always so proud of my dad. I remember the day I came home, we lived on the old farm at Bixby then and I told dad the Wac's had visited the High School and I told him I wanted to join the Wac's, I thought he would be so proud of me, but to my very STUNED surprise he exploded and told me if I joined the Wac's he would disown me, he said they were nothing but Whores, he was so upset and my heart just froze, this was my first greatest shock in life. I asked Janet how she got dad to sign for her to join the Navy, of course several yrs. had passed by then, she said she told the recruiter to do it, and to not be surprised if he got his head handed back to him, but to her surprise the parents signed, I guess she chose the right Branch of the Service, and all my years I have envied her. Our Soldiers hold a very special place in my heart and in my Prayers each night. It really upsets me when I see so many people in our Country take our Freedom's for granted and never consider the cost to the Brave men and woman that paid the price so they could live free. GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS, AND GOD BLESS AMERICA, "IN GOD WE TRUST"

LOVE AUNT SHERRY