Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Grandma's Recipes

My mom sent me some of grandma Elsie's pickle recipes this week. They have names like Sweetlime Pickles, Cucumber relish for the fridge or freezer, 12 day Chunk Pickles, and of course Dill Pickles and Bread & Butter Pickles. Included was recipes for a Jewish Coffee Cake, Burnt Sugar Cake, Dutch Apple custard pie, Date pudding, and Date Nut Cake. There is also a recipe called"Plums" breifly stating "boil in med. syrup 5 min., seal", with the recipe for the syrup at the bottom of the card. OK, how many plums or how many pounds of plums? As you can see these recipes are a bit brief but I think I can figure them out eventually. The important thing is that I've gotten some of grandma's recipes! If any of you want a copy let me know. I'll try to publish them here as well but some are hardly ledgible so I need to take a while to go over them. I have a very dim memory of canning plums with grandma and how yummy they smelled. They were one of her favorites. I remember seeing her eating them in little white dishes and spitting the stones (seeds) into her spoon. She also made plum jam and jelly. But my favorite was crabapple. It was very time consuming to make jelly and even more so to clean crabapples so the few jars she made me each year were greatly appreciated. I can taste it now on hot buttered toast even tho its been years!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

You know I want them, but I want photocopies or scans. Do you have a scanner? If not, I do. That'd be a fun afternoon, don't you think? Bring your granddaughter and the recipes and I'll make lunch. :o)

Barbara Allen Moore said...

Sounds great! There's something about holding the cards in my hand that brings something extra to having them, I guess its knowing that at some point grandma and mom and so many others have laid their hands on these same cards and now its my turn. You'll know what I mean when you hold them in your hands.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! This past weekend we were up in Yanton, SD and went to this awesome restaurant and they had the best turkey soup and noodles like Gramma made..I was going to send an email out to see if anyone had Gramma's recipes.. I remember makin gthem with her and cinnamon rolls...nummy nummy! Do you know if anyone has her noodle recipe?

Barbara Allen Moore said...

Grandma didn't really have a recipe for noodles she just tossed the ingredients in a bowl and noodles happened. It was the same with her bread until she discovered frozen bread dough and began using that instead. Mom says Aunt Janet has grandma's recipe box so you might contact her and see if there is a recipe for noodles.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. ;)

Anonymous said...

This is a little late maybe as I am spending hours on this Blog and having myself a very good time, oh the memories. Mom recipe for noodles is the same as mine. I put in however many cups of flour I need to make a certain amount of noodles, so take three cups of flour and a little salt, I put in a Teaspoon of baking powder, makes them a little lighter, add an egg for each cup of flour and mix if it is too stiff add a little milk, you want the dough stiff but so you can roll it out real thin then flour it and roll it up and cut about 1/8th of an inch or smaller depends on how thick you want your noodles, scatter them out and let them dry, drop into hot both water and cook, takes about 10 or 15 minutes. I always have chicken or beef in the broth and in the beef broth I add some onions chopped real fine or onion powder, but I always use some chichen base and beef base for a good flavor. The meats today don't have the strong flavor they had when we buchered our own, so add to taste. This is egg noodles like mom used to make. I also use this same recipe to make my dumplings I just add a little more mild to make the dough sticky and I drop them in the broth. Let me know who tries them and how they came out.

My love Aunt Sherry